Fast food, Fat profits: Obesity in America | Fault Lines

Obesity in America has reached a crisis point. Two out of every three Americans are overweight, one out of every three is obese. One in three are expected to have diabetes by 2050.

Minorities have been even more profoundly affected. African-Americans have a 50 per cent higher prevalence of obesity and Hispanics 25 per cent higher when compared with whites.

How did the situation get so out of hand?

On this week’s episode of Fault Lines, Josh Rushing explores the world of cheap food for Americans living at the margins.

What opportunities do people have to eat healthy? Who is responsible for food deserts and processed food in American schools?

Fault Lines finds food revolutions taking place and speaks with the people that are fighting back.

People featured in this film: Marion Nestle, Marlene Schwartz, John Bode, Nelson Eusebio, J. Justin Wilson, Dr. Olajide Williams, Lauren Von Der Pool, Julie Paradis, Cathal Armstrong, Ed Bruske,

– Subscribe to our channel:
– Follow us on Twitter:
– Find us on Facebook:
– Check our website:

#AlJazeeraEnglish #FaultLines #FastFood

Read more all post Foods : https://jamesmartinlive.com/foods/
  1. Bubba Gump Shrimp says

Healthier k12 school lunches. Outside that, I think you can make your own diet decisions

2. Anelani Njokwana says

In South Africa fast food is more expensive that healthy foods. Most South africans eat take away as a treat.

3. Candice Larkan says

It's making me a little angry that people are making the excuse that "healthy" food is somehow more expensive than fast food. its more like people need to do a bit of a cost benefit analysis and see that a bag of potatoes and a bag of bread is always going to be more cost effective than a cheeseburger.

4. John Longawa says

10 years later and we are still eating &%$# food.
    Why would we ever be attacked by terrorist again when we are destroying ourselves with fast food.

5. Venis Zeka says

Id like to see obesity in qatar!

6. Dilshan Fernando says

Funny how a journalist on Al-Jazeera is trying to fix an American problem that they themselves don't care about.

7. Sweet Lil Devil says

I always think that's Roseanne in the thumbnail

8. bail says

this is making me hungry !

9. Veronika Sonoga says

People have free will. They can choose whether to eat junk or healthy stuff. I lived in the USA 11 years and probably went to Mc Donald's 5 times. I always cooked normal healthy meals at home because it was much cheaper than fast food. I really miss those big boxes of blueberries or huge bags of almonds from Costco?. Kids obesity is always parents' fault. Very sad.

10. Stevy Prsj says

First 30s = fast food advertisement

11. Rachel Freeders says

I think the main thing is moderation…. I mean when I get fast food I SMASH but I don't do it every day like honestly I eat fast food like once a week if that and I usually eat 1 or 2 sandwiches fries nuggets and a milkshake which of course is way more calories than I need but it's usually my only meal of the day. Im almost 30 years old and I'm 5' 3" and my highest weight was 135lbs. Fast food is meant to be a treat not a way of life if you're eating fast food twice or more a day then you're obviously gonna get fat. People who are over weight know why they're over weight like no one is sitting around like idk why I'm fat unless they're in extreme denial. Most people notice when they're gaining a little extra weight and they change their diet before it becomes a problem.

As far as little children being fat i blame the parents. Growing up i was only allowed to have pop on birthday partys or family get togethers so like 3x a year now people are giving their toddlers pop and tea and then they don't understand their bad behavior like obviously they're sugar crashing and unable to sleep because of all the caffeine.

12. ZZ Bodybuilding says

I can’t imagine what it must be like to live in a country where you can’t afford medication or treatment. Makes a person glad to live in a country that gives it citizens free health care and medication.

13. eileen locke says

Makes me ill all this chewing yuk u really reL
    really got go want to lose weight really want it or it will never work im just finding this out lost 16 pounds since ?

14. Dimi Tarara says

Wake up people the world is not the way you see or thought it would be …..

15. Crystal Clear says

Lol whenever I want junk food I just watch this vid and makes me feel like I ate it….it’s a cool technique for anyone who wants to lose weight I guess or not…idk try it…

16. Lakshmi shelke says

The food that is common there to eat everyday…… We eat that once in a month … Btw I am from India

17. Maddison Johnson says

Y'all should look up heart attack grill in Las Vegas Nevada. It's a hospital themed restaurant where combo meals are named after surgical procedures and health risks. Such names include double, triple, quadruple, and octuple bypass burger. Also, flat line fries and so much more. It's so creepy.

18. Cliff Mays says

Good old Trump one of the first things he does is blow over the vegetable garden and planted grass. One thing about Trump he is consistent, he always wrong.

19. Cliff Mays says

I think Mexico is now the fattest nation.Growing food is a good thing, but what we do because of the meat lobby is to grow corn and other grains not to feed humans, but animals. This needs to change. As for the fat person claiming restricting food by the government will not work. So maybe we should not restrict drugs by using this logic?

20. godless of destruction says

How is unhealthy food is cheaper then good and healthy food ? Please let me know

21. Chapter 444 says

If it's harder and harder for people to make good food choices then maybe you shouldn't go to a food festival focused on deep fried food

22. Typical expert says

U think of American u think of fat white people?

23. Mila Marie says

4:47 ya'll really be using the same music as Buzzfeed Unsolved?

24. Traveller says

Food is the problem.
    Treat food as.medicine not medicine as Food!

25. Jakob on Tour says

There is a lot of corruption between the USDA and the food industry

26. Xavia says

some people in ICU look healthier than this

27. Souls gamer yt says

In my country McDonald's is rich people food

28. Bunzer.of.Wunzerton 223 says

Our portions have gotten OUT OF CONTROL, we need to get a grip on our gluttony.

29. Mr. Sir says

I wonder how many of those people featured here have already died of heart diisease?

30. Bunzer.of.Wunzerton 223 says

I received books for cooking healthy on a shoestring budget. We survived the first 4 years of marriage. It really is possible but you have to budget everything.

31. Horrigan says

"the question is; who's profiting?"

32. The Indian Australian says

That's what parents are for?! Wrong. That's what politicians we vote are for.

33. Joshua Hart says

8:06 WELL, SUGAR IS A NUTRIENT.(JOKING)

34. Sumit Dev says

American cars are gas guzzler so is their people

35. LIZ-O-RAMA says

lobbyists can cram it

36. Maree McMahon says

FOOD Is MEDICINE,. MEDICINE is YOUR FOOD. All your VITAMINS , MINERALS

37. hans T says

Just stop eating fast food or dont eat so much