Foods for Protecting the Body & Mind: Dr. Neal Barnard

Murdock Mind, Body, Spirit Series: Featuring clinical researcher, author, and health advocate Dr. Neal Barnard, M.D. Dr. Barnard is the founding president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) and an adjunct associate professor of Medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. He is the author of fifteen books, including best-selling titles Power Foods for the Brain, 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart, and Dr. Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes.

This conversation was recorded Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at the Aspen Institute in Aspen, Colorado.

The Murdock Mind, Body, Spirit Series reflects the founding principles of the Aspen Institute – a commitment to nurturing the ‘whole’ individual – by bringing a range of experts, innovators, and leaders to Aspen to discuss their research and share the latest revelations about the link between mindfulness, physical activity, and emotional well-being. The Murdock Series will introduce new speakers and audiences to enhance the Institute’s broader mission. The series is generously underwritten by Gina and Jerry Murdock.

Read more all post Foods : https://jamesmartinlive.com/foods/
  1. Matt H says

Quick Google search shows this guys connections and huge donations from PETA. Clearly pushing a narrative. Most of the studies he referenced/graphed early in this video are extremely antiquated. I guarantee you he knows that. The increase in meat consumption also occurred congruently with the huge shift to processed foods and extremely high amounts of sugar.. Highly processed, low quality, corn fed, hormone raised meat took the blame! Also, re genetics his discussion of rice as carbs related to the Japanese….true genetics don’t change quickly. However, genetics between the Japanese and European ancestry are vastly different. It is very misleading to say that because Japanese people can eat high amounts of carbs, so can everyone!

2. nehopsa says

wow what a battlefield. as of now I have been sworn enemy of all those terrible carbs. and sure, high corn sugar is still not good for you as hell. but what a confusion with this vegan lifestyle now.

3. Noelle Obcarskas says

lol…love the quote…"when you see the golden arches…you could be on the road to the pearly gates" reference to mc donalds lol and "pizza is a deliery vehicle for cheese"

4. keith wilson says

915min thats not bad fat it can be if its fat from animal that eats gmo feed if the animals eat naturaly the fat not bad cuz what toxins go to fatty part please tell the whole thing everyone has there agenda even the vegans and salad shooters and yes sugar bad too eat natural and eat balanced and stay active and yes being less active has an effect too for the bad . but he is correct we eat too much meet and chicken and truth be told a high veggie diet is best with some meats but not big amounts

5. Chengfu Saechao says

My WEAKNESSES are
    CHIPS
    Bread
    Fastfood
    Cheesecake
    Dietcoke
    Frozen foods
    RamenNoodles(packaged)
    these JUNKFOODS are what i grew up EATING.
    & now i can't seem to STOP
    EATING ALL THESE
    FUCKING JUNKFOODS..I
    don't blame my parents..i
    Blame MYSELF for being
    WEAK&can't control my own eating habits…..
    HELP ME..

6. oliesa john says

I am grateful for these insightful information about diabetes ! I know of many people who might definitely benefit from these information once they decide to try out what's recommended

7. Shelbymaldita says

Finally! This is what I'm talking about! Rice does not cause obesity I grew up in Asia mostly a lot of us are skinny. I migrated to US after college gained wt. in my 40s ok tried to avoid rice and kept gaining wt.

8. J C B says

There is nothing wrong with humane animal husbandry, and there is everything right and healthy about grass fed, grass finished meat (beef and other animals) from healthy animals.

Should we eat less meat? Yes. For one thing, we shouldn't place such a high demand on animal harvesting that we force animal harvesters to crank out animals as if they're running a factory making lifeless widgets.

Veganism is a human choice and all the best to them. But, it becomes a tyrannical ideology if it attempts to impose itself on others. Same with Keto and Paleo diets. Diet can become a bit like those who recognize the value of gun ownership, and those who don't and who decide they want to depend on the police for their security. Interestingly, it's not gun owners who want to defund the police. Whhaaaaat???

Anyhow, there are plenty of healthy and non-healthy meat eaters. Just as there are plenty of healthy and non-healthy vegans.

Anytime we take a food group out of our diet our health improves. Why? Because eliminating a whole group is a form of fasting. It rests our bodies and, at the same time, forces onto our sluggish systems a kind of jump start.

Every diet can use stats to support their claims. Also, there is some evidence the blood groups each do better on specific food groups. Apparently A blood types are the Vegans of the Food Groups while O blood types are the Carnivores. As an A, not knowing about blood types, I kept trying to impose a vegetarian diet in my spouse, truly believing it would improve my spouse's health. It didn't. After we agreed that my spouse needed more beef (grass fed, finished) than did I, my spouses health (energy, health, happiness) increased. When I joined my spouse on a Carnivore Paleo diet, I felt better for a few months, but, unlike my spouse, in time I wasn't feeling so good. I returned to a Vegetarian diet (eggs from my own hens, wild fish, raw cheese, raw cream) and my health and energy improved.

Today, I am no more enamored by one diet or another. God gave me a brain and I use it.

9. iDrunk k says

What’s the best multi vitamin? Hmm

10. Tejaswini Polepeddi says

This doctor is necessary in a country like India where dairy and oils are consumed excessively and the rates of diabetes, hypertension and alzheimer's disease are growing rapidly.

11. borat121 says

The meat and dairy corporations are evil but the vegan corporations are not. Yes that makes a lot of sense….not. They are all the same. Cherry picking studies to back up their agenda ect. You can have a good or bad experience on ANY diet. It's not that easy.

12. go vegan for Health, Animals & Environment says

Neal Barnard is the best!

13. Arrasel says

I don't know what to believe anymore. Dr Berg, Dr Gundry, Dr Mark Hyman – all say otherwise.
    Why aren't people on a keto diet or paleo diet getting diabetes?
    Fat won't spike your blood sugar and will keep you full longer.

Honestly, I am off carbs, gluten and dairy free because I have an autoimmune disease and this is how I heal it.
    I feel so much better now.

I do not believe veganism is the best way. A doughnut is vegan, right? What you got there? You get higly refined wheat flour, yeast and a lot of omega 6 oil which causes inflammation.

14. Veronica says

I don't agree with not using good oils. It's a base of mediterenian diet.

15. Leo Stack says

God Bless Are Great Great President Of The United States Of America Donald J. Trump And His Beautiful Family!

16. xan fran says

MEAT IS POISON!!

17. Sky Sky says

This is a very critical study .. It should be taught in every school starting at early age …Nutritional healing ….

18. Valart VALERIE HOPE BENNETT says

EXCELLENT THE TIME FOR CHANGE IS NOW..GREAT WORK , BE BLESSED.

19. Brei Davis says

I love how everyone becomes a nutrition expert in the comments section. lol

20. East Side Lutheran Church says

Hey man, why the Fargo bashing? It is a great place.

21. Darris Nelson says

A perfect talk for anyone on the fence about going plant-based. I was drawn to the title as I have a loved one who is in mid-stage dementia … it’s a horrible and frightening way to go. I’m 65 and 25 year veg, 16 year vegan. Thank you Dr B for all you do to educate us!?