Power Foods for the Brain | Neal Barnard | TEDxBismarck

NOTE FROM TED: Please do not look to this talk for medical advice. The speaker makes assertions about a specific diet that lack sufficient scientific evidence for general prescription. TEDx events are independently organized by volunteers. The guidelines we give TEDx organizers are described in more detail here:

Dr. Barnard has led numerous research studies investigating the effects of diet on diabetes, body weight, and chronic pain, including a groundbreaking study of dietary interventions in type 2 diabetes, funded by the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Barnard has authored over 70 scientific publications as well as 17 books. As president of the Physicians Committee, Dr. Barnard leads programs advocating for preventive medicine, good nutrition, and higher ethical standards in research. He has hosted three PBS television programs on nutrition and health and is frequently called on by news programs to discuss issues related to nutrition and research. Originally from Fargo, North Dakota, Dr. Barnard received his M.D. degree at the George Washington University School of Medicine and completed his residency at the same institution. He practiced at St. Vincent’s Hospital in New York before returning to Washington to found the Physicians Committee.

This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at

Read more all post Entertainment : https://jamesmartinlive.com/entertainment/
  1. ET Himself says

Sugar and Carbs in excess are the real causes with the exception of refined oils

2. Jolene Egan says

Great information my family is practicing the my plate plan with out even realizing it.I’v loss 22lbs,my daughter loss 41and my son in-law 47 we walk a lot it’s amazing we have so much more clarity,energy and over all good health.

3. k b says

meat and eggs. could not be simpler.

4. B Charron says

What kind of frying pan can we use if we cannot use iron and copper. I heard that aluminum is no good for and neither stainless steel, so what type of frying pan is safe to use?

5. gourmet cavewoman says

A timely lecture

6. Bahar Bekr says

It's great and useful information, thank you Dr Barnard, I hope your father to rest in peace.????

7. go vegan for Health, Animals & Environment says

There are altogether 3 sound reasons why everyone should eat vegan:

1. Health – the healthiest nutrition is a plantbased wholefood diet. Animal products of any kind are harmful to the human organism. This is proven ever more clearly & unambiguously in scientific studies.

The China Study: The most comprehensive study ever conducted on nutrition and the frightening effects on diet, weight loss and long-term health proves it. It was conducted by Dr. T. Colin Campell, among others.

In addition, there is an ever-increasing number of nutritional studies that also support this fact. On the free website (Nutrion org) of Dr. Michael Greger there are now over 5,000 different studies that underline this fact.

Furthermore, there are numerous nutrition experts with decades of experience & many patients from different institutions who also publish this fact and give presentations about it. The most famous besides Dr. Campell & Dr. Michael Greger are Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. John McDougell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.

Documentaries such as "Forks Over Knives", "The Game Changers" and "What The Health" have been very well received by many.

2. Ethics – it is morally wrong to breed and fatten innocent animals, to pump them full of antiobotica, to torture them for their whole lives, to lock them up in a tiny room and then to slaughter them for unnecessary reasons & just because of the greed for profit.

The animal industry therefore desperately tries to hide all pictures of the interior & the production of factory farming from the public. Documentaries like "Eahrtlings", "Dominion" and "Land of Hope & Glory" show these terrible facts very well.

3. Environment – factory farming is responsible for 60 – 70 % of the greenhouse gases & leads the climate change the most, even more than all means of transport together. Moreover, between 70 – 85% of all soy cultivation, which is responsible for the deforestation of the rainforest, is only used to feed the animals in the livestock. For 1 pound of beef you need about 20 pounds of crops. The documentation "Cowspiracy" explains this in detail.

8. Sudeep Singh says

Someone give this man a bigger stage ????????

9. Bonnie Bester says

Yeah l still do that with Bacon and Eggs! ????

10. maria rossi says

"and the brain also tells you they're pretty, they're attractive": this sentence is beautiful XD! Every physician/doctor should watch this talk ! I see too many pills prescribed and almost no change in lifestyles! thank you so much for this talk ♡

11. Steiner Sound studios says

Hugh Laurie?

12. Lexie vG says

So, I have to disagree with the "plate" and RDA set forth by USDA. If you had 3 to 4 servings of fruit and or vegetables a day, your sugar level, even in the form of fructose, is a recipe for insulin resistance. We need to readdress these guidelines once again.

13. Jacqueline Haile says

Thank you.

14. Dona101 says

Such an abundance and variety of foods without having to cause other species any harm.
    How much better would the world/planet be, if eating a plant based diet was the rule, not the exception.
    How much more quickly would humans evolve into a civil, peaceful, compassionate, united, intelligent and creative species if animals and their products were not treated as commodities.

15. Deb Guy says

I have a cast iron pan I use every day, and yet I have low iron.

16. Deb Guy says

What about aubergines?

17. Daniel Delarosa says

Its not for every one tho "cuz. I have a life. to. so jus my job to do wat I did an. If u want. My. K`knowledge. U gota. fit into my life not urs. So that's wat faith is u guys can jus live. Fir t&e now if that's wat u want. But jus noing who I am gives u options

18. Daniel Delarosa says

I'm the boss sorta of my buines at least u guys can control ur lifes an who u pick to lead u is up to u I would only be here for the believers who want to live for ever

19. Daniel Delarosa says

This is how we fix this

20. Daniel Delarosa says

But its ur jobs to make the money back for me I have other stuf I need to fix I hire u guys to fix the problems for me well I discover them issues to fix them there are millions of pple u can hire for ur selfs to pay me back

21. Piotr Małek says

The Vegetarian Myth, Lierre Keith – version EN

22. Светлана Иванцова says

So great speech ???????? it is so important to follow that …

23. Nikhil Jeswani says

This man needs to go on JRE

24. Joe TZ says

here's several suggestions for giving up drinking quickly
    Try eating food while you are drinking – this cuts down the amount you drink.
    Take a break from alcohol.
    Make a note of how much you drink, then you know if you are cutting down.
    Set yourself goals – don't make them too difficult at first.
    Choose one or two days or each week when you will not drink at all. Then, try to stop drinking for one week per month.
    (I learned these and why they work from Adoette drink plan website )

25. Happy Star says

wow..you just changed my thinking ..

26. Krishna Verma says

Very good advice Help us more please it is never late to follow good advice

27. Adam Loveless says

Dairy like yoghurt is to be avoided?.. I put blueberries and walnuts with a banana in mine.. everyday everytime.. is that ok?

28. Joan Tvedt says

coconut and cbd oil also helps

29. Johnny Poon says

When he said don’t take a vitamin e supplement but to get it from food, as I swallow 2 vit capsules

30. Ash S says

I love this talk! I want to research the effects of different forms of exercise on protein aggregation in the brain in Alzheimer's disease when I'm done with my schooling and this was so helping and informative as diet is SO incredibly important to overall health!

31. william lipsett says

Good information and valuable , but meat was given a negative shunt and I found that unproductive , but a good talk given for vegan diets .

32. sheila gooding says

What an eye opening talk. I worked on changing students behaviour , did many courses some successful but it was hard work. This brain info should be available to all those in need and there will be smaller prisons.

33. Silvio Pires says

What a guy!???? They should make a study to find out how much this speech has bought, over time, in happiness through having families remaining together for longer for those who followed what he encourages us to! Dr Barnard is a true humanitarian!☺️????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

34. Elizabeth Butler says

He has very good points. I try to do most of these already, but I need to walk more.

35. Topflight HEALTH says

interesting… I agree.. genes are not your destiny…

36. Study with Melissa says

You can't talk about nutrients in isolation. It's the effect that a combination of nutrients has on physiology that determines if the effect is detrimental. Which should be known for anyone studying nutrition. You can't isolate nutrients in long-term studies because that's not how people eat.

37. naveen boddupally says

Yes. July 2020. Sound medical advice , watching this for a second time. This time I am going to act on it.

38. Kimmi Hellman says

I’m so curious what Dr. Barnard’s response is or thoughts are on the meat and egg-excess that Max Lugavere is promoting…personally I have saved my mom’s life and brain from an advanced cognitive decline/Depakote/nursing home solid diagnosis and recommendations from top specialists docs (Dr. Barnard has been my greatest teacher!) by implementing a wfpbno (whole food plant based no oil no added sugar diet), daily challenging cardio exercise (to get blood flow pumped to the brain), yoga, meditation and plenty of hydration and restorative sleep. We have also practiced intermittent fasting via extended scheduling around sleep. The science supports why and how this has saved her alongside removing chemical cleaners from the house, all natural body wash and cremes, eliminating alcoholic drinks and in general celebrating love and gratitude as often as possible each day! ????????????????

39. BLISS SIEW says

Thank you.Great Talk. This Cv19 made me created a Youtube Food channel to share my Healthy Family Food recipes.Please search for Bliss Siew to view my food videos.

40. Damaris Phuti Makama says

I wish I got this information earlier
    now I am 68 do I have a chance if I start changing my diet now.Annique

41. Konark Aggarwal says

Thanks Neal for your wonderful evaluations ????????

42. Burnheart says

Eliminate animal products

43. Devil's Advocate says

Guys, I think I found the culprit of the vegan revolution.

Edit:
    Also, he never told me what to do about my cast iron pan. What am I supposed to cook in? I mean, most of the skillets nowadays are made of some sort of metal, aren't they?

44. Ann Gray says

A vegan diet is the best

45. Edith Yuba says

Me too

46. Lewis Teague says

He talks about researchers in Chicago without citing any organization, papers, methodology, etc. I am always suspect of such vague claims.

47. Mary Tatom says

good talk to start out a monday mid-day, thanks. i think your dad is guiding you, thanks, dad. 🙂

48. Debra Syfert says

I'm sorry you lost your father so long ago but you had his body to behold, kiss, etc. and thank you for this wonderful talk which will help me purchase these foods and hit the concrete in the evening. Thank you and blessings galore Neal. xo

49. Paul Forde says