Why students should have mental health days | Hailey Hardcastle

Visit to get our entire library of TED Talks, transcripts, translations, personalized talk recommendations and more.

School can be rife with stress, anxiety, panic attacks and even burnout — but there’s often no formal policy for students who need to prioritize their well-being. Hailey Hardcastle explains why schools should offer mental health days and allow students time to practice emotional hygiene without stigma. Follow along to learn how she and a team of fellow teens transformed their advocacy into law.

The TED Talks channel features the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design — plus science, business, global issues, the arts and more. You’re welcome to link to or embed these videos, forward them to others and share these ideas with people you know. For more information on using TED for commercial purposes (e.g. employee learning, in a film or online course), submit a Media Request here:

Like TED on Facebook:

Read more all post Health : https://jamesmartinlive.com/health/
  1. Gabriel Akins says

If your parents have to sign you out for it then how is it supposed to do anything? Most of the time mental health issues are caused by family problems it seems to me.

2. Aden Firdaus says

Pretty lady

3. Tony P says

Snow. Flake.

4. Homeslice Breadslice says

My high school acts all "oh yeah we really care about our students' mental health!" but they don't let us have mental health days, we tend to get in trouble for 'disturbing' the class with a panic attack, and, if we aren't in trouble, then we're left in the hall until we 'settle down'. They don't try to address the situation or try to fix it. They just leave you until you can bottle your feelings back up

5. Suraj Hembram says

You will have finished your work before I come

6. Sophie Proulx says

I wish we have that in California, or for some reason I was never told

7. retrovibe music says

Hey any smart person or someone good with being a therapist I have a sister they're mean to me even though I dont do anything even a short kid who doesn't shut up, I'm sensitive,and for a couple of months I've got to the point that I imagine that I kill them this was normal when I was little I had anger issues at that time so I expressed them out but now in middle school I have control but that's the thing I having anger problems in me

8. Nguyễn Hoàng Huy says

Cô ấy xinh quá, thích nghe những video như này.

9. Invox says

Can we have that for adults in our work place?
    I need that.

10. Simran rajput says

Mental health days are so imp. Like I remember I used to take leave from school and my parents used to talk it out with teachers and then too I faced a lot of problems like my teachers they used to say stuff like "why don't you get a term insurance". Like seriously if you can't help a student pls don't give stupid advice. School is seriously a big headache atleast for me

11. Abdul Basit says

I am giving papers in this uncertain time where we still don't even when or if this will ever end and this ted talk hits home and i am under constant stress.

12. Cathy Livingston says

I was a worrier, too, and suffered migraines at an early age. My mom and I had a similar understanding and valued our mental health days. She would call in my absences until I was old enough to do so myself. "Are you sick?" she'd say, and we'd both laugh when I replied "Yes, sick! Sick and tired of…"?

13. 1002강민재 says

내 몸 건강만을 신경 쓰는것이 안닌 내 정신 건강도 생각해야하고 힘든일이 있으면 쉬고 가도 된다는 좋은 메시지를 담은 좋은 영상이었습니다. 속력보다는 보다는 방향이 더중요하다라는 말이 이제 이해가 되는 것 같습니다. 유익한 영상 감사합니다.

14. April says

What kind of activity sbould we do during mental health day? And when we feel so stressed, how to consult it to someone? ? I never know..

15. Nichole Ross says

My mom would never let me do this! She would just tell me I need to go to church now

16. My Trần says

it's great!!!!❤️

17. sectuemo Glub says

i think that i am nah health of my psychology☺️?☺️?

18. huong pham says

she is so pretty

19. คุณากร ภูวนารถ says

"It is always OK to be not OK, and It's OK to take a break" It deeply touched my heart

20. MS says

Wow! I would have best mental health if I had a teacher like her.

21. Alexander Patrovesky says

Mental Health should be the priority of each and every one,when the mind is healty and is on the track,everything works smoothly